world youth day for families
What is WYD for families?
World Youth Day (WYD) for families is the gathering of families with young kids from all over the world with the Pope. It is also a pilgrimage, an expression of the universal Church and an intense moment of evangelization for the youth world.
Although its Catholic identity is clearly evident, WYD opens its doors to everyone, no matter how close to or distant from the Church they are.
The World Youth Day for families is a great occasion for you and your family to have an intense moment of prayer and faith, with lots of fun. And you will have complete freedom to participate to the activities that you want.
To read more about WYD, click on the links at the bottom of the page.
What is the program like?
The program starts on August 3rd and ends on August 6th. The WYD will take place in Lisbon, Portugal. The official program for the 4 days is as follows, and all the families will participate as a group:
- Thursday, August 3rd: Rise up catechises, Youth festival, City of Joy, Welcome ceremony for the Pope. The catechises and the City of Joy will be full of interesting events, such as booths about faith and vocations, to have a better understanding of our faith. The welcoming of the Pope is a special event, as he is such an important figure for us as Catholics, he is therefore first and foremost the Supreme Pastor and he represents Christ’s love and concern for every single individual.
- Friday, August 4th: Rise up catechises, Youth festival, City of Joy, Way of the Cross (Via Crucis). The Way of the Cross is the reflections on the 14 stations of the cross, events up until Jesus´ crucifixion. It will be done in a living representation, very intense moment of prayer, that unite all of us and reminds us of the Cross of Christ, that bears the suffering and the sin of mankind, including our own.
- Saturday, August 5th: Pilgrimage until Parque Tejo, Evening vigil (vigil mass). The vigil mass will be celebrated on the field with more than a million people, youth in particular, so those able to sleep in open air are free and welcome to do so, otherwise it is possible to go back to the apartments for the night. It will be a celebration of our faith in the most authentic way.
- Sunday, August 6th: Missioning Mass and goodbyes. The Missioning Mass will also be a very intense and emotional event, where more than a million people will be reunited, participating to the same Holy Mass celebrated by the Pope, and concelebrated by various bishops and priests. It is the conclusive event of the WYD week, and it connects all the Catholics under what represents them, the Eucharist. It is a special moment also because the Pope will be there and salute all the pilgrims, and announce the next WYD!
- We are a family with very young kids, is the trip possible for us?
Yes, the pilgrimage is of about 4 days, and the program is very flexible, so you get the ticket to enter the WYD with all the others, but you are free to participate or not based on what you and your family want/can do.
- Where do we sleep?
You will stay in small apartments with own kitchen and bathroom, to give you all the comfort and flexibility needed, we know that travelling with kids might require more space, that is why we have booked apartments instead of hotel rooms. And you don´t have to worry about it, it is booked by DUK and included in the price (here is an example of apartment). Here is a map of the apartments and of the important parks where the WYD takes place.
- How can we pay?
You need to click on the “Registration” button, compile the form with all the necessary information to enrol, and you will receive a link sent by DUK to pay.
- What do we have to book?
You have to book your own flight tickets to Lisbon, this way you have complete freedom and flexibility. The participants buy their own plane tickets, and the price will be refunded by DUK. The earlier you buy the ticket the better it is.
If you buy your plane ticket BEFORE January 15th, DUK will refund the full amount of the ticket (the price of the ticket must be within the average price of plane tickets for the youth trip, so please consider “economically friendly” tickets).
AFTER January 15th, you can still send the tickets and DUK will refund the average amount that has been spent before January 15th, as the more we wait the more expensive prices will be.
- What does the price include?
The price includes (2500kr per person, no age limit):
-Hotel from August 3rd to August 6th
Membership of DUK 2023 is a requirement and is not included in the price – 100kr
- Can we arrive in Portugal before August 3rd?
Yes, you can come, but you will have to pay and arrange your own accommodation, as DUK only provides for the dates August 3rd-August 6th 2023.
Do you have any questions? Please write to:
DUK -> email@example.com
Lejrchef: Chi Le and Luu Ha
They will participate with their 4 kids, so join them in this great event! -> firstname.lastname@example.org
And it you are ready to participate, click on the Registration button below, and fill out the form with information for the registration! We are looking forward to the WYD and seeing you!
What are you waiting for?
Join the family group for an unforgettable experience in Lisbon 2023!
Countdown to the start of the WYD for families!